Lisbon, Portugal – Porto Santo & Funchal, Madeira
- Travel in comfort in the newly renovated Santa Maria Manuela
- Set sail from Lisbon’s 25 de Abril suspension bridge
- Sail 521 nautical miles into the Autumn sun with a following wind
- Hands-on sailing experience in all aspects of the ship’s life
- Spot for whales and dolphins, fish, share sailing stories by the bar or lose yourself in a good book
- Support our citizen science project to raise awareness of the problem with marine litter
- Stop to swim in the clear blue waters of Porto Santo with its 9 km beach
- Consider spending a few days exploring the striking mountainous island of Madeira after you disembark
This voyage takes us from Portugal’s historic capital, to the semi tropical island of Madeira, stopping to swim in the clear blue waters of Porto Santo and stroll along its famous 9 km white sand beach.
We Set sail on this iconic ocean voyage along Lisbon’s historic city shoreline, under the 25 de Abril suspension bridge and into the setting sun. With 521 nautical miles of open ocean ahead there is an open invitation to get fully involved in all aspects of sailing, from helming to trimming sails and from navigation to going aloft. When you are not involved in the sailing there’s plenty of time to fish, read, play board games or share sailing stories by the bar.
During this iconic ocean voyage you may find it impossible not to be captivated by the beauty and power of the ocean. As we venture further into the Atlantic Ocean it may seem equally impossible that man could have had any negative impact on such a remote stretch of water. It is at this point that, thanks to the support of our partners at Waste Free Oceans, we invite our guests to participate in our citizen science project to help assess the purity of the waters in which we sail. At intervals during the voyage, we will trawl a small net to capture what is floating in the ocean, be it plankton, fish or small pieces of ocean litter and microplastics. Many find it shocking to find evidence of mans impact on the environment hundreds of miles offshore, but seeing this has a powerful effect, inspiring us to take action. Your contribution will help raise awareness, and inspire change.
Arriving into Funchal by sea offers stunning views of the city perched on an ancient volcanic slope, a mecca for hikers, cyclists, and golfers. Shadowing the city are impressive mountains covered in laurel bushes and banana trees, a natural park which was nominated a UNESCO Word Heritage site in 1999.
For this product the Portuguese taxation will be applied. If you require an invoice it is necessary to request it to https://www.santamariamanuela.pt/ Santa Manuel Manuela S.A. with tax code PT-515 755 028.
Availability: Last places available
Santa María Manuela
The Santa Maria Manuela was launched on 10 May 1937 in Lisbon. It is a 67-metre sailing ship. The ship was named after the owner’s wife, Maria Manuela, mother of 16 children. The main function of the Santa Maria Manuela was cod fishing. The Santa Maria Manuela underwent a number of structural changes over the years, from the removal of the masts to the installation of a navigation bridge. In 1993 the ship was considered obsolete, was dismantled and only the steel hull remained. The following year the Santa María Manuela Foundation was created, a project that united 17 institutions under the same purpose: to recover the ship. The SMM now has unique conditions for sea voyages, events, parties and training at sea. Predominant colour WHITE.
Map of the journey
What is included
- All meals on board Santa Maria Manuela – including breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- One bed in a shared cabin.
- Tea, coffee, water and juice throughout the day.
- Safety equipment.
- Accommodation in a twin cabin with private bathroom.
- Sail 154 nautical miles along the Mediterranean coast.
- All the learning on board with a qualified crew.
- Public liability insurance.
What it does not include
- Travel to and from the ship.
- Personal travel insurance.
- Alcoholic beverages and soft drinks at the bar (you will have an open bar tab during your trip, which you can pay for at the end, by cash or card, before disembarkation).
- Any excursions or meals taken on land.
- Any excursions or meals taken ashore.
- Cost of entry visas to the various countries.
Book now and don't miss out on your place
Availability: Last places available