Portimao – Cadiz – Albufeira – Portimao
- Travel in comfort aboard the newly renovated Santa Maria Manuela
- Autumn sunny sailing on Portugal’s protected Algarve coast
- Hands-on sailing experience in all aspects of the ship’s life
- A day and overnight in the ancient city of Cadiz
- Stop to swim or kayak in the clear blue waters of the Algarve
COVID POLICY: Please click this link for our money back guarantee and COVID security policy.
This 100 mile return journey takes us from Portugal’s sunny Algarve coast to the ancient historic city of Cadiz. This 6 night voyage is a great opportunity to gain sailing experience on a tall ship and explore one of the Iberian Peninsula’s ancient gems.
We set sail from Portimao and spend the first 48 hours at sea learning the ropes of the Santa Maria Manuela.
There´s nothing our crew like more then to share their knowledge of sailing with our guests, and they will encourage you to get actively involved with all aspects of the ship’s life. Volunteers to hoist the gaff tops and trim the sails are always welcome, and the feeling of helming a 67m sailing ship with the sensation as she responds to the command of the wheel is something to savor forever.
Knot classes are a great way to learn a new skill whilst sharing sailing stories with shipmates, and if the weather allows there’s the opportunity to go up the mast or relax in the bowsprit netting. A drink at sunset on the deck is the perfect way to round off each day.
After a few days at sea, the welcoming sight of Spain’s ancient port city, Cádiz, appears on the horizon. It is home to a gold-domed cathedral and more than 100 watchtowers, like the Torre Tavira. Generally considered to be the oldest continuously inhabited settlement in Europe, founded as Gadir by the Phoenicians in about 1100 BC, Cadiz’s ancient centre is surrounded almost entirely by water, and is a romantic jumble of sinuous streets where Atlantic waves crash against eroded sea walls, cheerful taverns fry up fresh fish and salty beaches teem with sun-worshippers. There’s time to explore the family run restaurants, and myriad of decorative churches concealed within the labyrinth of cobbled streets.
After a day and a night exploring, we set sail west through the same waters which witnessed the Battle of Trafalgar of the Napoleonic Wars. The bay of Albufeira provides the perfect anchorage for our final night with the promise of a BBQ on the deck. Our final morning sees us arrive back in Portimao to disembark after a hearty breakfast.
Availability: Only 3 places are available
Santa María Manuela
The Santa Maria Manuela was launched on 10 May 1937 in Lisbon. It is a 67-metre sailing ship. The ship was named after the owner’s wife, Maria Manuela, mother of 16 children. The main function of the Santa Maria Manuela was cod fishing. The Santa Maria Manuela underwent a number of structural changes over the years, from the removal of the masts to the installation of a navigation bridge. In 1993 the ship was considered obsolete, was dismantled and only the steel hull remained. The following year the Santa María Manuela Foundation was created, a project that united 17 institutions under the same purpose: to recover the ship. The SMM now has unique conditions for sea voyages, events, parties and training at sea. Predominant colour WHITE.
Map of the journey
What is included
- All meals on board Santa Maria Manuela – including breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- One bed in a shared cabin.
- Tea, coffee, water and juice throughout the day.
- Safety equipment.
- Accommodation in a twin cabin with private bathroom.
- Sail 154 nautical miles along the Mediterranean coast.
- All the learning on board with a qualified crew.
- Public liability insurance.
What it does not include
- Travel to and from the ship.
- Personal travel insurance.
- Alcoholic beverages and soft drinks at the bar (you will have an open bar tab during your trip, which you can pay for at the end, by cash or card, before disembarkation).
- Any excursions or meals taken on land.
- Any excursions or meals taken ashore.
- Cost of entry visas to the various countries.
Book now and don't miss out on your place
Availability: Only 3 places are available